During data transfer, security is of paramount importance, especially when it comes to critical corporate documents. Therefore, they must always be prepared with the utmost carefulness for dispatch, and all conditions must be created to transfer information safely.
Three rules for transferring data between companies
There are only three recommendations that will save you from losing important information:
- Carefully select a team of people who will work with your documents. These should be only trusted employees who are guaranteed not to transfer data to third parties.
- Select files before sending them. Make sure you send the exact file the recipient is waiting for, not another with a similar name. This will help you avoid misunderstandings and information leakage.
- Use virtual data rooms. Perhaps this is the easiest and most reliable way to protect your information at the time of its transfer from you to another user. There are reliable methods of data encryption and different levels of access.
You can pay attention to such services as iDeals, Ansarada, Firmex, etc.
How VDR ensures the security of electronic document management
Through the electronic circulation of documents, companies send legally significant documents that contain commercial information. Violation of the security of such documents carries risks for the organization. Therefore, Kontur pays special attention to safety:
- In VDR, digital copies are transmitted over an encrypted channel. This prevents interception or falsification of data.
- The VDR supports the use of a Qualified Electronic Signature (QES). However, after signing documents with the help of CEP, they cannot be corrected; that is, no one from the outside will change the document’s content.
- In VDR, you can set up two-factor authentication to protect the information in the electronic document management system: the entry will be confirmed using a short SMS message.
- VDR creates three backup copies of all documents and technological files on the servers. With each additional backup, the risk of losing documents decreases. Another blockage occurs when carrying out work with the risk of data loss.
These are standard methods and means of protecting electronic document management.
Sources of Threats
Information security of electronic document management is ensured by the preventive measures described above and knowledge of the main threats. They are divided into external, that is, coming from outside, and internal, which comes from employees.
There are types of threats to electronic document management systems:
- Corruption of data integrity. It can be loss, destruction, or distortion of information. Difficulties with access to documents: errors when opening, network attacks.
- Loss of privacy: theft of information or unauthorized access to it.
Let’s take a closer look at each type:
- External threats to the information security of electronic document management do not depend on what is happening inside the organization.
- Internal threats. More often, they come from employees and are deliberate – deliberate transfer of information to outsiders; unintentional – incidents that occur due to lack of knowledge or negligence.
The main danger is deliberate artificial threats. Therefore, it is important to choose a secure system.